In geography, we have all been given different current events in Europe. The topic in which I was assigned to is independence movements. The movement that I chose to research about is the Welsh Independence Movement.
Before I had been assigned to independence movements, I had no knowledge of the fact that this is happening in Europe. I had seen flashes of it when I look at the New York Times website, and had overheard snip its of people occasionally talking about these movements, but the fact that these independence movements were changing people's lives had never dawned on me. I chose to learn about the Welsh Independence Movement because I hear the most about it. I figured that if I were to gain more background knowledge about the topic, then I would be able to participate on conversations about this, or at least understand what people are talking about when they say "Plaid Cymru," for example.
Throughout my researching so far, I have learned that the minority of the population is backing Welsh independence. One the other hand, nearly 50% would like for the Welsh Assembly to have more power. (The survey was taken over telephone to 1,006 random samples by ICM Research.) I think that this survey is very interesting, because even people in Wales are not supporting their independence. This makes me wonder what the downsides to Welsh independence are, because the Welsh would not just vote against their county's independence.
In conclusion, I have found out very much about something in the past few weeks. I had not thought of the significance of the Welsh Independence Movements. I have looking forward to finding out even more about the movements!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Protest_Cymdeithas_yr_Iaith,_1972.jpg

Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário