domingo, 16 de março de 2014

Theme- City of Ember

Curiosity is a great thing to have, but it could also be a costly thing.  It can be worth the risk. 
For example, in the chapter ''Something Lost, Nothing Found,'' Sadge had gone to the unknown regions out of curiosity.  He did not find anything and his nerves got the better of him.  He can only remember this from his curiosity.  He should not have used his curiosity here, but in a place where it could be more useful.  He was unable to find something and could have used it in a way where he can look even deeper into the situation.  Later into the book, Doon and Lina tell the guards about their discovery about the mayor, but they do not believe them.  Although this was an amazing discovery founded by their curiosity, they shared it with the wrong people.  Finally when Lina is caught by the guards, she tried to convince them that it was not a lie, but they did not believe her.   This shows that there are consequences in curiosity.  Curiousity helped Lina and Doon all throughout City of Ember and did risk themselves, but it was the net that caught them in the end.

I used to think that "The City of Ember'' was about two children that wanted to explore and discover new things.  I read that Lina liked to run and wanted to be a messenger.  She also knew her way around Ember by heart.  I also read that Doon wanted a job in the pipeworks because he wanted to fix the generator.  My initial thoughts when I read these were that the theme could be freedom and adventure.

Now, I realize that the City of Ember is really about how curiousity is something that will help you.  I see that you should not be afraid to take the risk.  I noticed this later in the book, when Doon and Lina are wanted for spreading untrue rumors.  They risked telling someone where their curiousity had lead them, and they soon had to pay for it.  I realized that theme is not something that can just be seen by taking the first idea that comes to mind, it is something that you have to dig deep to find.  

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário